ATTENTION: For this AEIOU article, there is probably
a new version in
Please click here
Neue Freie Presse
Neue Freie Presse, Viennese daily founded in 1864 by the editors of the daily "Die Presse" M. Etienne and M. Friedländer after disagreements with the publisher A. Zang ("DiePresse"). It was published from September 1, 1864 until January 31, 1939; when it was merged with the "Neues Wiener Tagblatt". The Neue Freie Presse followed a liberal-bourgeois course; due to excellent journalists (including E. Hanslick, L. Speidel, D. Spitzer, T. Herzl) and modern journalist and technical methods (between 1869 and 1873 rotary press printing was introduced), the Neue Freie Presse became a world-renowned newspaper under the co-editor and editor-in-chief (1908-1920) M. Benedikt. Circulation 1870: 25,000, 1901: 55,000, 1920: 90,000, 1934: 59,000, 1938: 59,000.
Literature: A. Wandruszka, Geschichte einer Zeitung, 1958; F. Endler, Österreich zwischen den Zeilen, 1973.