Ranshofen: main hall of the collegiate church
Ranshofen, Upper Austria, village in the district of Braunau, alt. 380 m, industrial centre situated south of Braunau am Inn (cadastral district). - Largest aluminium works in Austria, the electrolytic refinery was been closed down in 1992 and only secondary and imported aluminium is processed there (Austria Metall AG). Part of the industrial area of Braunau with medium-sized enterprises is located in Ranshofen. - Documented mention in 788, in the 9th century imperial palace, Emperor Arnulf founded the chapel of St. Pancras in 898, an Augustinian monastery was established in 1125 (closed in 1811). - Former Gothic collegiate church, today the parish church (1508-1515), partly redecorated in Baroque style, a new tower was added (1621-1630), high Baroque furniture and interior, high altar with excellent statues, six side altars, choir stalls and pews (around 1699); stucco work by M. Salleitner and J. Schmidt, stucco in the Rosary chapel by M. Vierthaler (around 1710), gravestones dating back to 14th - 18th centuries, octagonal Gothic charnel-house (1337) with Gothic frescoes; building of former monastery from the 17th /18th centuries, with Rococo stairwell and library.
Literature: H. Schopf, Die Geschichte des Augustiner-Chorherrenstiftes Ranshofen am Inn im Mittelalter (1125-1426), doctoral thesis, Innsbruck 1985; M. Eitzlmayr, Ranshofen, 1987.