Josef Plečnik, Zacherl building in the 1st district of Vienna, 1903-1905.
Plečnik, Josef, b. Ljubljana, Slovenia (then Laibach), Jan. 23, 1871, d. Ljubljana, Slovenia (then Laibach), Jan. 6, 1957, architect and designer. Studied under L. Theyer in Graz and 1894-1898 under O. Wagner at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna; worked in Wagner´s office on the planning of the Vienna city railway; 1900-1911 created his most important works, also designed the interiors (Zacherl building in the 1st district of Vienna, 1903-1905); 1911-1920 taught at the trade school in Prague; designed alterations at Prague Castle. His most important religious buildings are in Vienna (Church of the Holy Spirit in the 16th district of Vienna, 1910-1913) and Prague (Church of the Sacred Heart, 1928-1932). In 1920 P. settled again in Ljubljana; he not only taught at the university there, but also had a decisive influence on the face of the town with his buildings and town-planning decisions and became the founder of modern Slovenian architecture, although his very individualistic style is more influenced by antiquity and the theories of G. Semper and O. Wagner.
Josef Plečnik, in the studio of the sculptor Josef Engelhart, photo 1907
Further works: Vienna: residential building Beckgasse, 1900/01; block of flats Langer, 1901-1903; fountain Karl-Borromäus-Brunnen, 1906-1909.
Literature: D. Prelovšek, J. P., Wr. Arbeiten von 1896 bis 1914, 1979; P. M. Bode u. G. Peichl, Architektur aus Ö. seit 1960, 1980; Magistrat der Stadt Wien (ed.), Architektur in Wien, 1984; F. Achleitner, Ö. Architektur im 20. Jh., vol. III/1, 1990; D. Prelovšek, J. P. 1872-1957, Architectura perennis, 1992.