Freudenau: The meadowlands in the Prater in the 2nd district of Vienna have been used for horse racing since the Vienna Horse Racing Society built a race track in 1839 (horse breeding and sports). The Imperial box and covered grand-stand were built in 1870 according to a design by C. v. Hasenauer. The 2,800 m long racetrack was partially destroyed during World War II. The Vienna Racing Association and its managing company have been operating the track since 1962. The port of Freudenau is an integral part of the Port of Vienna. A Freudenau Danube power plant was built 1992-1998 and has a capacity of 172 MW.
Literature: W. Binnebös, Galoppsport in Wien, 1980.