Mozarteum (International Foundation Mozarteum): In 1841 F. von Hilleprandt founded the association "Dom-Musikverein und Mozarteum" (Music Society of Salzburg Cathedral) in Salzburg, which was intended to revive flagging interest in music in the wake of Salzburg´s loss of political independence. In 1841 he established a Mozart museum at Mozart's birthplace and in 1842 the 1st Mozart monument was inaugurated, Mozart festivals were organised in 1852 and in 1856. The Mozarteum collection is based on the donations by Karl Mozart, who had no heirs and left his inheritance to the Mozarteum. When the Society's Mozarteum Music School was founded, it consisted of a singing, instrumental and practice school. The "International Mozart Foundation", a society founded in 1870, wanted to establish a music academy, a Mozart hall for concert performances, archives and periodical music events. In 1880 the Mozarteum Music School was separated from the Dom-Musikverein (Kunsthochschulen), which merged with the newly-founded society "International Foundation Mozarteum" in the same year.
The Mozarteum building, dating from 1914 and situated next to the Mirabell Gardens, houses the headquarters of the International Foundation Mozarteum, which is also its owner. Besides classrooms, the building also comprises the Bibliotheca Mozartiana (Mozart Library) with the Mozart Archives, a concert hall and a chamber music hall. Since 1950 the garden of the Mozarteum has housed the "Zauberflöten-Häuschen" (1874 transferred from Vienna, 1877 erected on the Kapuzinerberg hill), a small wooden pavilion in which Mozart wrote the "Magic Flute" and used to be in the courtyard of his Vienna residence.