Southern Railway, initially connected Vienna with Trieste: 1839-1842 private "Wien- Gloggnitzer Eisenbahn" railway line, 1842-1857 Mürzzuschlag- Graz- Laibach/Ljubljana- Trieste; built by the state on the recommendation of Archduke Johann, 1848-1854 connected via the Semmering Railway, planned by K. von Ghega; in 1858 sold to the private Southern Railway Company, which also built the Marburg/Maribor- Klagenfurt- Villach- Lienz- Franzensfeste/Fortezza line 1863-1871. The Southern Railway was nationalised in 1923; since then the Bruck an der Mur- Klagenfurt- Villach line has formed part of the connection with Italy. In 1956 the Vienna Südbahnhof (southern railway) station and the adjacent Ostbahnhof (eastern railway) station were rebuilt. Both had been destroyed in World War II. In May 1963 the Vienna-Tarvisio section and in May 1966 the Bruck an der Mur- Graz section of the Southern Railway were electrified.
Literature: J. Dultinger, Die "Erzherzog Johann-Bahn", 1985.