Hildebrandt, Johann Lukas von
Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt. Anonymous painting (Wawel Palace, Kraków).
Hildebrandt, Johann Lukas von, b. Genoa (Italy), Nov. 14, 1668, d. Vienna, Nov. 16, 1745. H. and J. B. Fischer von Erlach were the most significant architects of the Austrian Baroque. Studied under C. Fontana in Rome, constructed fortresses during the Italian campaigns under Prince Eugène, H. became his favourite architect. In 1696 came to Vienna and in 1700 became court engineer, 1711 head of the court dept. of building, 1723 court architect. At court, however, he could not assert himself in the face of the rivalry of the two Fischer von Erlachs and worked mainly for aristocrats. Unlike the monumental works of Fischer von Erlach, H.'s works seem more committed and include more decorative elements. This helped H's popularity spread right through to the middle class. He, too, united Italian and French elements and shaped the development of the baroque style in south Germany and Austria. Was involved in many great projects which were carried out by other architects (e.g. Würzburg, Göttweig, Pommersfelden, Palais Schwarzenberg). Built numerous city palaces in Vienna (e.g. Daun-Kinsky, 1716), his religious buildings are also of great importance (St. Peter's Church and Maria Treu Piaristenchurch in Vienna, Dominican Church in Gabel, Czech Republic, Teutonic Church in Linz). The most important, however, are the palaces for Count Schönborn in Göllersdorf (1712-1717) and Prince Eugène (Belvedere in Vienna, 1713-1723, Schloßhof, 1729, and Ráckeve, H, 1701ff.).
Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt. St. Peter's Church, 1703-1708, in the 1st district of Vienna, engraving by B. Hattinger
Literature: B. Grimschitz, J. L. v. H., 1959; W. G. Rizzi, J. L. v. H. - Ergänzende Forschungen zu seinem Werk, doctoral thesis, Vienna 1975; H. Lorenz (ed.), Barock, Geschichte der bildenden Kunst in Ö., ed. by H. Fillitz, vol. 4, 1999; Amisola (ed.), Palais Daun-Kinsky, Wien, Freyung, 2001; NDB.
References to other albums: