Schmidt, Friedrich Freiherr von
Baron Friedrich von Schmidt, photo
Schmidt, Baron Friedrich von, b. Frickenhofen (Germany), Oct. 23, 1825, d. Vienna, Jan. 23, 1891. Architect. Studied architecture in Stuttgart and trained as a stonemason; award-winning design for Vienna's Votive Church, from 1857 in Milan, from 1859 taught at the Vienna Academy and 1863 cathedral architect of St. Stephen´s in Vienna; 1866-1870 member of the Vienna City Council, 1889 Member of the Upper Chamber of the Austrian Parliament. S. was central to the successful introduction of neo-Gothic brick construction in Austrian religious architecture; he also established the neo-Gothic style for secular buildings (Vienna City Hall, 1883); introduced the German Renaissance into Vienna's repertoire of styles (annex to the Österreichisch-Ungarische Bank, 1875). Rejected pedantic use of historical architectural or decorative principles. As one of the principal masters of the "Ringstrasse era" S. enjoyed an international reputation and executed numerous works both in Austria and abroad. He repeatedly combined his architectural work, including the construction of palaces, with the restauration and preservation of monuments. S. was the spiritual father of an important school of architecture (G. von Hauberrisser, V. Luntz, F. von Neumann the Younger, A. Wielemans von Monteforte et al.).
Further works: Vienna: Lazaristenkirche, 1862; Akademisches Gymnasium (school), 1863; church St. Othmar, 1863-1869; church Maria vom Siege, 1875; Sühnhaus, 1886 (destroyed in 1945/51). - Fischhorn Castle, Salzburg, 1870; church St. Nikolaus, Innsbruck, 1874-1884. - Restaurations or conversions: Klosterneuburg Abbey, 1875ff.; Parish Church Jedenspeigen, 1886; castle in Waidhofen an der Ybbs, 1887ff. (all in Lower Austria); Burg Runkelstein castle (South Tyrol), 1888.
Literature: E. Neumann, F. v. S., doctoral thesis, Vienna 1952; P. Haiko (Hg.), F. v. S. Ein gotischer Rationalist, exhibition catalogue, Vienna 1991; ÖBL.
References to other albums: