Wiener Zeitung: the world's oldest daily still in publication, appeared for the first time on August 8, 1703 under the name of "Wiennerisches Diarium". It has used its present title since January 1, 1780. Originally a private enterprise, it became the official government gazette in 1812. It has been published by the state since 1857/58 and produced at the Austrian Staatsdruckerei (government printing office), which was spun off as a limited liability company in 1998. Although the newspaper could not develop an independent political position because of its close relations to government from 1812 and the censorship that was in force until 1848, considerable scientific and cultural coverage became possible in the second half of the 19th century. The Wiener Zeitung was also the official gazette from 1810 and kept that function during the period of National Socialism, from March 12, 1938 until February 29, 1940, when it was discontinued. Circulation increased from 4500 (1855) to 10.000 (1920), 25.000 (1938) and 30.000 (1970), but had dropped to approx. 24,000 by 2000.
Literature: Festschrift 250 Jahre Wiener Zeitung 1703-1953, 1953; F. Stamprech, Die älteste Tageszeitung der Welt, without date (1977).