Wiener Neustadt Canal, built 1794-1803 by the Steinkohlen- und Canalbau A. G. according to plans by Sebastian von Maillard. Served as a transport route between Wiener Neustadt and Wien-Landstraße; length: 61 km, difference in altitude: 93 m, 46 locks, several aqueducts. The Wiener Neustadt Canal was supplied with water by the rivers Leitha and Schwechat and was used mainly for the transport of goods such as coal, wood, iron ore and bricks. It lost its importance after the decline of shipping caused by railway competition and was last used in 1878. The canal was almost completely filled up, shorter parts remained in use as factory supply canals with electric power plants.