TU Graz

Information:

This is an old - not maintained - article of the AEIOU.

In the Austria-Forum you find an updated version of this article in the new AEIOU.

https://austria-forum.org Imprint

bm:bwk
Encyclopedia
Encyclopedia
home austria albums search annotate deutsch
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Maria Rojach - Marine (2/25)
Maria Rojach Maria Schutz

Maria Saal


© Copyright

Maria Saal.



Maria Saal, Carinthia, market town in the district of Klagenfurt Land, alt. 505 m, pop. 3,700 (3,202 in 1981), area 34.84 km2, highly popular with pilgrims and day trippers; situated north of the town of Klagenfurt in the outer regions of the Zollfeld (valley drained by the River Glan, part of the Klagenfurt Basin). - Open air museum exhibiting typical Carinthian farmsteads, convent of the Sisters of Mercy (including a domestic science school and a home for mentally handicapped children); timber processing, haulage company, car traders, distribution centre of a trading chain, engineering works. - Late Gothic fortifications encircling a provost´s cottage and a pilgrimage church (constituted the religious centre of Carinthia during the 8th century, bishopric until 945 with short interruptions). Choir and transept (1430), nave (1450-1459), fortifications (destroyed by a great fire, rebuilt between 1670 and 1674); various stone monuments from Virunum (e.g. stone relief of a Roman wagon), as well as historical tombstones (Keutschach Epitaph, 1510) along the outside of the south walls. Interior ornamented with Gothic frescoes (Genealogy of Christ, 1490); transept decorated with murals (1430), a mural by H. Boeckl (1928) and Baroque stucco works; impressive high altar (1714) with a cast stone madonna (1425); magnificent winged altars in the side choirs. The church bell weighing 6,600 kg was cast from Turkish canons in 1687; Baroque pulpit (1747); Gothic lantern (1497) in front of the south portal; charnel house (first documented mention in 1416); fortifications including a tower, a deanery, a former provost´s cottage (now housing the museum of local history´s furniture collection) and a gate house (ornamented with frescoes depicting the Virgin, 1776); column dedicated to the Virgin (1663); Plague cross ornamented with Late Gothic murals(1523).


Literature: F. Schröer, Propstei- und Wallfahrtskirche Maria Saal, 1983.


References to other albums:
Video Album: Maria Saal, Hochaltar der Pfarrkirche.

 
User Guide Abbreviations
 
© Copyright Encyclopedia of Austria

 

Search for links to this page
 
help aeiou project of the bm:bwk copyrights e-mail