Gothic carved altar with life-size figures of St Christopher.
Kefermarkt, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Freistadt, alt. 516 m, pop.1950, area 27.84 km2, situated in the valley of the Feldaist stream in the Mühlviertel to the south of Freistadt. - Kefermarkt manufactures kitchen fittings and quilts, has a tiler, a locksmith specializing in construction work, building joiners and woodworking industries manufacturing balconies and staircases. - Late Gothic parish church (1470-1476) with interior in late Gothic and Baroque styles: famous late Gothic carved winged altar, one the finest examples of wood-carving north of the Alps; the name of the artist is not known but it was probably carved around or after 1490 in a Passau workshop, altered in 1681 and renovated from 1852 to 1855 under the direction of A. Stifter; also site of Schloß Weinberg, a Renaissance palace (documented mention in 1305), extended in the second half of the 16th century altered into a representative rectangular building with circular towers and one main tower; palace chapel (1635) with stucco-works by B. Carlone (1698/1699); now serves as a provincial educational centre and houses a museum of musical instruments.
Literature: M. Eiersebner, Kefermarkt Höhepunkt spätgotischer Schnitzkunst, 1970.
References to other albums: