The idea of erecting a Mozart statue in Salzburg originated in 1835. After an appeal to the public for
donations the work contract could be given to the Munich sculptor Ludwig von Schwanthaler. The statue
was unveiled on September 4th, 1842, on the famous St.Michaels Square (now Mozart Square), in the
presence of Mozarts two sons.
Franz Xaver Mozart conducted the "Festkantata" op.30 in honour of his
father. Mozart is represented with a long coat, his foot planted on a rock - the symbol of his native country -
in his left hand a music scroll, in his right hand a slate-pencil.