Universität für Bodenkultur Wien
University of Agricultural Sciences, Vienna, established 1872 as a college headed by a rector, at first only with an agricultural division, from 1875, after closure of the Forstakademie/Forest Academy in Mariabrunn (established 1805, 1813-1867 Higher Institution of Forestry, then academy), also with a forestry division. In 1883 a 3-year course to train experts in cultivation techniques was introduced as a third course of studies; in 1945 another course, zymotechnology, was established, which took over the agenda of the former "Wiener Akademie für Brau-Industrie" ("Vienna Academy of Brewing Industry", first brewing academy in the world, 1895-1922). In 1969 the following courses were established: agriculture, forestry, cultivation techniques and water management, food and fermentation technology (renamed "food and biotechnology" in 1984), finally 1991 landscape planning and preservation. Given university status in 1975, but structured according to subjects rather than faculties. The period of training initially lasted 6, from 1905 on 8 and since 1969 at least 10 semesters; students graduate after passing state examinations and are conferred the academic title of "Diplom-Ingenieur"/"Graduate Engineer" (since 1945; 1917-1944 professional title "Ingenieur"/"Engineer") or a doctorate (since 1906). At present (1995): more than 30 departments and more than 8,000 students.
Since 1896 the University of Agricultural Sciences has been located in Vienna's 18th district, one department is in the 19th district, an experimental farm at Großenzersdorf, a research institute of agrobiotechnology (opened 1994) in Tulln.
Literature: 100 Jahre Hochschule für Bodenkultur in Wien 1872-1972, 1972.