This is an old - not maintained - article of the AEIOU.
In the Austria-Forum you find an updated version of this article in the new AEIOU.
125th Anniversary of the Exhibits in Freistadt
This commemorative stamp shows Freistadt's main square and the emblem of the Mühlviertel Fair. The Mühlviertel Fair is one of the oldest of its kind in the province of Upper Austria and indeed in Austria. Freistadt was always a significant and pulsating mercantile center. Freistadt's flourishing trade began when King Rudolf of Habsburg bestowed upon the city trade and storage rights. The first exhibit entitled "Upper Enn Farming Community" in 1862 marked the beginning of regular fairs in Freistadt. In 1931 the exhibit reached out beyond provincial borders and established the basis of today's Mühlviertel Fair. Nowadays the Mühlviertel Fair reaches far outside of the Mühlviertel to Bavaria, Greater Linz, and the neighboring Lower Austrian districts of Amstetten, Gmünd, Waidhofen/Thaya, and Zwettl. Its significance was also enhanced with its opening to the former East Block countries.
References to other albums: