This is an old - not maintained - article of the AEIOU.
In the Austria-Forum you find an updated version of this article in the new AEIOU.
Wilten with Abbey in the foreground.
Wilten, Tirol, southwestern district of Innsbruck (since 1904), at the foot of Bergisel Mountain, neighbours the inner city of Innsbruck to the north (bounded by Salurnerstrasse and Maximilianstrasse streets and the hospital area on Innrain street). The main railway station of Innsbruck is located northeast of Wilten. Wilten is also the point of departure of the Stubaitalbahn tram towards Fulpmes and the Mittelgebirgsbahn tram to Igls; connection to the Brennerautobahn motorway (Wipptal valley). - Parts of what is now Wilten emerged on the territory of the Roman settlement Veldidena; it is dominated by the Premonstratensian Abbey founded in 1138; Baroque collegiate church, constructed after plans by C. Gumpp 1651-1665, high-Baroque façade (1716) after plans by G. A. Gumpp, transmission organ with winged doors from the middle of the 17th century, ceiling paintings of intensive colour by K. Waldmann (1702-1707); abbey (1670-1696 after plans by C. Gumpp) with museum; parish church and Basilica of the Immaculate Conception (first documented mention 870, constructed 1751-1755 by F. Penz), most important sacred building of the North Tyrolean late Baroque and one of the most famous pilgrimage sites in Tyrol; frescoes by M. Günther, stucco work by F. X. Feichtmayr, altarpiece in the Andreaskapelle chapel by J. G. Grasmayr, high-Gothic statue of the Virgin (1st half of the 14th century); the church, which used to be in the same place, also served as the parish church of Innsbruck until 1643; Wilten-West parish church (constructed 1955-1957 after plans by M. Eichberger) with detached tower, at an angle to the church. Kaiserschützen Museum next to the abbey.
References to other albums: