Stixenstein Castle, Lower Austria, located in the municipality of Ternitz, district of Neunkirchen. Castle founded in the 12th century (first documented mention 1186), ancestral residence of the Stüchse (ministerials of the local rulers), 1343 renovated, in 1547 the castle came to the Hoyos family. In 1802 destroyed by fire, partly restored; impressive square keep (extended to three storeys in the 16th century); great hall (since 1802 without roof); originally Gothic chapel; new eastern part with gallery; magnificent park stretching from the castle hill along the bottom of the valley. Since 1864 property of the City of Vienna.
Literature: F. Halmer, Burgen und Schlösser im Raum Bucklige Welt und Semmering, 1969.