TU Graz

Information:

This is an old - not maintained - article of the AEIOU.

In the Austria-Forum you find an updated version of this article in the new AEIOU.

https://austria-forum.org Imprint

bm:bwk
Encyclopedia
Encyclopedia
home austria albums search annotate deutsch
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Stampfer, Simon - Starhemberg, Helmhard Freiherr von (3/25)
Stamprech, Franz Standard, Der

Stams


© Copyright

Stams: Monastery.




Stams, Tirol, municipality in the district of Imst, alt. 672 m, pop. 1,183, area 33.56 km2, situated between Telfs and Imst, in the upper Inn Valley. - Meinhardinum abbey gymnasium secondary school, boarding school for skiers (Secondary Schools with Special Emphasis on Sports), provincial forest cultivation grounds, Don Bosco girls home, Diocesan Education Centre with training colleges for teachers and educators. The service sector includes personal, social and public services, wholesale company dealing in sweets, tourism (26,016 overnight stays). - Cistercian monastery, founded in 1273 by Elisabeth, wife of Meinhard II, to commemorate her son, Konradin, the last Staufer; graves of the territorial princes of Tirol; monastery building (alterations in the 17th and early 18th centuries, altered in Baroque style by J. M. and G. A. Gumpp) with Bernardisaal Hall, cloister, Renaissance convent tract and art collection; collegiate church (consecrated in 1284, redesigned in the early 17th century, altered in Baroque style 1715-1717 and 1729-1732 by G. A. Gumpp), pier basilica with Romanesque choir and octagonal towers with onion-shaped roofs, outstanding frescoes (1731-1734) and altar pieces by J. G. Wolcker, rich stucco by F. X. Feuchtmayr, monumental early Baroque high altar (1609-1613) by B. Steinle with interesting iconography, side altars and sculptures by A. Kölle, princes´ sepulchre with beautiful carvings (1681-1684, local princes, crucifixion group) by A. Thamasch. The attached Holy Blood Chapel (redesigned 1715-1717) is decorated with frescoes (1800-1801, J. Schöpf), figures by A. Kölle and a wrought-iron gate of roses separating the chapel from the basilica (1716, B. Bachnetzer); Gothic parish church with Baroque interior and ceiling frescoes (1755) by F. A. Zeiller, Rococo chapel (consecrated in 1748) on Stamser Alm alpine pasture (alt. 1873 m).


Literature: T. Köll, Aus der Stamser Kulturgeschichte, doctoral thesis, Innsbruck 1972.


References to other albums:
Photo Album: Stams

 
User Guide Abbreviations
 
© Copyright Encyclopedia of Austria

 

Search for links to this page
 
help aeiou project of the bm:bwk copyrights e-mail