Sankt Anton am Arlberg, Tirol, municipality in the district of Landeck, alt. 1,284 m, pop. 2,188, area 165.81 km2, international winter sports centre (992,264 overnight stays in 1992) in the upper Stanzer Valley, accessible via Arlbergschnellstraße road and the Arlberg railway tunnel; on the western fringe of the municipality, entrance to the Arlberg Rail Tunnel (built 1880-1884, length: 10.3 km), Arlberg Road Tunnel (built 1974-1978, length: 13.9 km). - Recreational park, ski museum, local heritage museum, power station; cable railways: Galzigbahn railway, Vallugabahn railway, Rendlbahn railway; Arlberg-Kandahar-Bahn railway (funicular up to Gampen peak and Kapall peak, alt. 2,315 m), several ski lifts, golf course, venue of the annual Kandahar skiing race and the 2001 World Downhill Skiing Championship. Ski school of international importance (Arlberg skiing technique) founded here by the skiing pioneer H. Schneider (instituted first skiing instruction in 1907). Parish church (consecration in 1698), extended in 1932 by C. Holzmeister; late Baroque parish church with Roman southern tower in Sankt Jakob.