Neulengbach, Lower Austria, market town in the district of St. Pölten, alt. 251m, pop. 6,147, area 51.63 km2, at the River Große Tulln at the west edge of the Vienna woods. - District court, District Chamber of Agricultural and Allied Workers, Custozza-Kaserne barracks, highway maintenance depot, workers´ home, nursing home for psychiatry and neurology, Volkshilfe charitable organisation, Sisters of the Holy Cross; 1,959 employees (1991), predominant sector: service industries (especially personal, social and public services, trade), plastics processing (plastic pipes), construction and related trades, some summer tourism. - Name derived from the transfer of the residence of the Barons von Lengenbach (Altlengbach). - Early Baroque parish church constructed 1623-1627 (formerly Franciscan conventual church) according to the model of a Gothic mendicant order church, 3 Rococo altars. Early-Baroque cloister in the former monastery; Renaissance city hall (around 1560) on the square that was laid out below the castle. Late Renaissance castle with four wings (late 16th century) overlooking the town (Gothic parts around 1420), Renaissance tower and archway.
Literature: R. Büttner, Burg und Herrschaft N., 1951; R. Büttner and P. Müller, Neulengbacher Heimatbuch, 1984.
References to other albums: