This is an old - not maintained - article of the AEIOU.
In the Austria-Forum you find an updated version of this article in the new AEIOU.
Moravia, one of the Habsburg lands (margraviate) and integral part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy until 1918; area 22,220 km2; of an overall population of 2,620,914 inhabitants in 1910 70.33 % were Slavs (mainly Czechs and Slovaks in the eastern part of the region) 29.38 % of German and 1,82 % of Jewish origin. The Landtag of Brno (then Brünn) had 100 members and 43 deputies were sent to Vienna.
Economy: agriculture (grain, potatoes, sugar beet and considerable livestock breeding), mining (hard coal), industry (textiles, metal industry, mining, machinery, timber industry, sugar and food industry).
Moravia had 6 statutory towns, 34 district commissions, the archdiocese of Olomouc (then Olmütz), the diocese of Brno (then Brünn), one German and one Czech University of Technology, 30 Gymnasium-type schools (14 of them German), 28 secondary schools (16 of them German) and 11 vocational training schools for teachers (5 of them German). - During the 6th century Slavic tribes settled in Moravia and founded the Great Moravian Empire (derived from the River Morava) in the 9th century. The town of Hodonin (formerly Göding) formed the centre of this empire which extended as far as the Weinviertel (region of Lower Austria) and had contacts with the Byzantine Empire (due to the missionary activities of the Greek apostles Cyril and Methodius). In 905 the Moravian Empire was brought to a fall by invading Hungarians. Around 1029 M. was annexed to Bohemia; it was made a margraviate by Emperor Friedrich I in 1182 but remained part of Bohemia in terms of feudal law. In 1526 the Habsburgs obtained possession of the region. In the 19th century national rivalries between Czechs and Germans reached a critical stage. However, tensions eased when in 1905 self-governing bodies for the two groups and the use of both languages at authorities and in schools were introduced. M. was integrated into Czechoslovakia on October 28, 1918, after the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.