Akademisches Gymnasium in Vienna. Photo, 1867.
Akademisches Gymnasium, originally a selective secondary school connected to a university, now an honorary title for successor schools. The Vienna Akademisches Gymnasium was founded by the Jesuits in 1552 and was originally located in the Dominican Monastery. The Akademisches Gymnasium was taken over by the Piarists in 1802, after which secular teachers began to teach there. The present historicist building was built 1863-1866 by F. von Schmidt. There are other Akademische Gymnasium schools in Linz (founded 1542, 1608), Innsbruck (1562), Graz (1573) and Salzburg (1617).
Further reading: R. Winter, Das Akademische Gymnasium Wien, 1996.