Schottengymnasium in Vienna
1010 Vienna, Freyung 6
This imperial Gymnasium was founded in 1775 and taken over by the Benedictine monks of the Schotten Abbey in 1807. This is where Johann Strauß attended school from 1837 - 1841;
it was one of the most renowned higher schools of Vienna. He did four grammar school classes with good success, then changed over to the Commercial Studies Department of the Polytechnic Institute, in accordance with his fatherís wishes. But he left after a year as his musical interest was stronger.