Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration, successor to the short-lived Handels-Hochschule ("Trade University", 1873-1877) and the Export-Akademie des k. k. österreichischen Handels-Museums ("Export Academy of the Imperial Austrian Trade Museum", founded in 1898); the latter was given a new home in Vienna´s 19th district in 1917 and was made into the state-funded Hochschule für Welthandel ("University of World Trade") in 1919. From 1930, it was entitled to award academic degrees such as Diplomkaufmann ("university trained merchant") to students having completed their 3rd year and Doktor der Handelswissenschaft ("Doctor of Commercial Science") to those having completed a 4-year course of study. In 1966, these titles were replaced by Magister/Doktor der Sozial- und Wirtschaftswissenschaft ("Master/Doctor of Social and Economic Studies") but finally phased out in 1975 and 1980, respectively. In 1975, the name was changed to Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration) and the university was organised in sections such as Business Administration, Economics, Legal Sciences, the Humanities and Natural Sciences. In 1983 the Humanities and Natural Sciences section also incorporated the Social Sciences. Since 1982, the Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration has had its own university complex at Althanstraße street in Vienna´s 9th district.
The University Organisation Act (UOG) of 1993 also applies to the University of Economics and Business Administration and gives it a certain degree of autonomy, especially in personnel matters, the appointment of professors etc. and made it possible for the University to establish its own research centre and adopt study regulations.
Literature: A. Brusatti, 70 Jahre Hochschule für Welthandel in Wien, 1968; A. Mosser, Die Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien, 1998.