Waldhausen im Strudengau
Waldhausen im Strudengau, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Perg, alt. 470 m, pop. 2,891, area 46.74 km2, in the valley of the Sarmingbach stream. - Electric power station; tourism (approx. 25,000 overnight stays in 1992); building trade. - Parish church (first documented mention 1142), extensions by H. Eder 1610-1612, important example of post-Gothic architecture in Austria, with tabernacle and frescoes (around 1610), high altar (around 1680); on the Schloßberg hill lie the remains of a monastery of the Augustinian Canons Regular (founded 1147, suspended in 1785, 1800-1810 largely demolished) and an early-Baroque former collegiate church (1650-1693), built by C. Colomba and C. Canevale, rich stucco work, richly decorated altar (around 1670) with paintings by J. Sandrart and J. de Herdt.
Literature: H. F. Müller, Gründungs- und Wirtschaftsgeschichte des Augustiner-Chorherren-Stiftes W. Oberösterreich bis zum Ausgang des 16. Jahrhunderts, doctoral thesis, Innsbruck, 1959.
References to other albums: