Wagrain, province of Salzburg, market town in the district of St. Johann, alt. 838 m, pop. 2,937 (1981: pop. 2,566), area 50.55 km2, winter sports and summer tourism (579,994 overnight stays in 1992), located in the Pongau region, at the transition from the Salzachtal valley to the Ennstal valley (watershed). Cable railways. - Mining area in the Middle Ages; Gothic parish church (extensions around 1450 and 1711), modern high altar (1976) with Gothic Virgin, J.-Mohr memorial organ, removed during the restoration work in 1995 (tomb of J. Mohr in the cemetery), Baroque subsidiary church of St. Francis (built in 1616 by S. Solari, now mortuary); fortress hill with remains of walls, alpine Paarhof farmhouse types. Wagrain was the adopted home of K. H. Waggerl (museum in his former home).
Literature: G. Steinbacher, Ortschronik Wagrain, 2 vols., 1993/94.