Pitten County, march in the southeast of Lower Austria with Pitten Castle as its centre. Was built by order of Margrave Gottfried von Wels-Lambach after 1042/43 and handed over to his successors, the Counts of Formbach-Neuburg, around 1050. After this line had died out, possessions and sovereignty fell to the Styrian Otakars in 1158 and to the Babenbergs in 1192. The monastery of Reichersberg (Upper Austria) owned numerous estates in Pitten County. The territory of Pitten County was part of Styria until the 16th century.