Ludwig Lohner (1858-1925), photo, around 1910
Lohner-Werke: In 1811 Heinrich Lohner from the Rhineland came to Vienna and was granted citizenship as coachmaker master in 1821. In 1868 his son Jakob Lohner (1821-1892) founded the carriage factory "Jakob Lohner & Co.", which began the construction of automobiles in 1896 under Ludwig Lohner (1858-1925) in Floridsdorf (today Vienna´s 21st district). From 1898 construction of the "Lohner-Porsche" electric vehicle (designed by Ferdinand Porsche), from 1906 "Lohner-Stoll" bus, 1910-1918 powered aircraft. After the 1st World War series production of car bodies and railway carriages, after the 2nd World War manufacture of motor scooters; in 1959 takeover of Rotax-Werke in Gunskirchen (Upper Austria), in 1970 purchased by the Canadian company Bombardier Inc. and renamed Bombardier-Rotax GmbH. Today´s Bombardier Transportation BWS originated from the Viennese Lohner-Werke carriage manufacture.