Lauffen, Upper Austria, cadastral district of the town Bad Ischl in the district of Gmunden, alt. 490 m, old market town in the inner Salzkammergut region and place of pilgrimage on the River Traun. In the vicinity, Höllenloch cave with stalactites and stalagmites. The rapids of River Traun ("Wilder Lauffen") used to be an obstacle for ships transporting salt. - Late Gothic pilgrimage church with a Baroque west tower (1705) and Baroque interior, high altar (1686-1719) with a Gothic "Schöne Madonna" statue (around 1400); Calvary chapel (1737); Empress Elisabeth foundation building with frescoes on the outside walls, probably by M. v. Schwind. Riedler house in Engleiten with a collection of folklore exhibits.
Literature: H. Kainberger, Lauffen im Salzkammergut, 1971.