Klam, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Perg, alt. 281 m, pop. 736, area 8.36 km2, situated in the Klambach Valley in the lower Mühlviertel region. - Power station, brewery. - The poet A. Strindberg lived in Klam between 1895-1896 (Strindberg museum); late Baroque parish church (built in 1767). Clam Castle (documented mention in 1128) was acquired in 1492 by Stefan Perger, the first representative of the Clam-Martinic family (still the owners of Clam Castle, made Barons in 1655, Counts in 1759). Clam is one of largest and best maintained castles in Austria. The main castle (Middle Ages, around 1300) with a circular tower was enlarged around 1636; it has a courtyard with a three-storied pergola, the "old chapel" with frescoes dating from 14th century, the "new chapel" with Gothic panel paintings and a museum with armour.