Karlskirche church, in Vienna´s 4th district, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo following a vow made by Emperor Karl IV during the plague epidemic in 1713. The Karlskirche is a high Baroque masterpiece designed by Johann B. Fischer von Erlach between 1716 and 1722, completed between 1724 and 1739 by his son Joseph Erlach, who modified the plan (the dome was altered). The exterior, with a façade that is an inspired work of art "which reflects like a compendium what Baroque art and symbolic thought was like "(H. Sedlmayr), was designed to produce an effect from a distant viewpoint (from the Kärntnertor gate, planned as a future axis to the Hofburg). Between 1724 and 1730 the two triumphal columns with spiral reliefs depicting scenes from the life of the saint were designed by C. Mader and J. C. Schletterer. Between 1725 and 1730 the dome fresco by J. M. Rottmayr, the stucco work by A. Camesina, the altar paintings by S. Riccy, D. Gran, M. Altomonte and J. van Schuppen were added. In 1738 the church was given to the Knights of the Cross Order of the Red Star of Prague and remained an imperial patronage parish up to 1918.
Literature: F. Eppel, Die Karlskirche in Wien, 1961.
References to other albums: