TU-Graz

ATTENTION: For this AEIOU article, there is probably
a new version in

Austria-Forum
www.austria-forum.org


Please click here

bm:bwk
Encyclopedia
Encyclopedia
home austria albums search annotate deutsch
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Kanitz, Otto Felix - Karajan, Theodor Ritter von ab 1869 (9/25)
Kapellari, Egon Kapfenstein, Steiermark

Kapfenberg


© Copyright

Coat of arms of Kapfenberg.



Kapfenberg, Styria, town in the district of Bruck an der Mur, alt. 502 m, pop. 23,380 (in 1981: pop. 25,716), area 61.24 km2, industrial centre in the Mürztal valley which draws many commuters. Kapfenberg has a hospital, town library, cultural centres, youth centres, local museum, district office of the Alpine rescue service. Social centre for families and couples (diocese of Graz-Seckau), day centre of the "Lebenshilfe" welfare institution, Fachhochschule*, Bundesgymnasium and Bundesrealgymnasium secondary schools, advanced technical school (HTL), agriculture and forestry school (Fachschule Hafendorf), vocational guidance centre, vocational training (BFI), Austrian training centre for guide dogs, sport facilities (Alpenstadium, ice stadium, etc.), airfield; some private power stations on the River Mürz. Work force: 10,560 (1991), around 55 % in manufacturing; steel production, materials for high-tech products, e.g. aerospace and automobile manufacturing industries, energy and medical technology, successor companies to theBöhler Werke, including several subsidiaries of Böhler-Uddeholm AG, aluminium technology, chain fabrication, coating technology, cable factory, broad range of small and medium sized enterprises; service sector: personal, social and public services. First documented mention as "Chaffenberch" in 1190, first facility built up around 1190 (systematic extension from 1240), hammer mills since the 15th century, Böhler metal works from 1894. Town charter in 1924, badly damaged from 1943 to 1945; Late Gothic parish church (Baroque additions from 1752 to 1755), interior after 1770, gravestones from the 16th /17th century); St. Martin church (14th /15th century); Protestant church (1958-1961); church at Schirmitzbühel (1956/1957) and Walfersam (1960-1962); palaces: Wieden (various building phases from the17th to the 20th century) and Krottendorf (17th century) with courtyard, Ober-Kapfenberg Castle; Böhler works housing estates; town hall (original building from the 16th -17th century). Close to Kapfenberg is the Rettenwandhöhle stalactite cave.


Literature: F. Mörth, Kapfenberg im Wandel der Zeiten, 1949; R. Puschnig, Kapfenberg Alter Markt - junge Stadt, 1974; Österreichisches Städtebuch, vol. VI, part 3, Die Städte der Steiermark, 1990.


 
User Guide Abbreviations
 
© Copyright Encyclopedia of Austria

 

Search for links to this page
 
help aeiou project of the bm:bwk copyrights e-mail