Hochosterwitz Castle, Carinthia, alt. 681 m, fortress situated on a Dolomite rock east of St. Veit an der Glan (municipality of St. Georgen am Längsee), a landmark of Carinthia, first documented mention of the place name 860 ("Astaruiza"), name is of Slovenian origin, 1570-86 fortress was extended to today´s form and size. A serpentine road (Mannerism) leads up to the outer ward through 14 gates, interrupted by 5 drawbridges. Gothic fortress chapel at the 8th gate, with portal (1586); fortress chapel with frescoes (1570) and altar displaying gnarled ornaments (1673). Prehistoric finds, Roman altar stone in the cellar dedicated to Belenus, the Celtic god of light. Art and weapons collections, armoury.
Literature: G. Khevenhüller-Metsch, Die Burg Hochosterwitz, 1961.
References to other albums: