Historisches Museum der Stadt Wien (Historical Museum of the City of Vienna), 1954-59 built by O. Haerdtl (1899-1959) in honour of T. Körner, mayor of Vienna and later Federal President. The permanent exhibition documents the topographical, cultural and artistic development of Vienna up to the 20th century. - Important exhibits: medieval stained glass and the Fürstenfiguren statuettes from St. Stephen´s Cathedral; weapons and armours from the citizens´ arsenal; booty from the 2nd Turkish siege 1683; paintings from the Biedermeier period (P. Fendi, J. Danhauser, F. G. Waldmüller, etc.), the Gründerzeit - Age of Promoterism - (H. Makart, A. Romako, etc.), from the turn of the century (G. Klimt, E. Schiele, R. Gerstl, A. Schönberg, etc.) up to the present.
Branches: Hermesvilla, clock museum, fashion collections, Prater museum, St. Virgil chapel, Neidhart frescoes, Karlsplatz station, Haydn museum, Figaro house (W. A. Mozart), Pasqualati house (L. v. Beethoven), F. Schubert´s birthplace, Johann Strauß apartment, etc.