Hemma, St., feast day June 27. b. around 980, d. Gurk (Carinthia), June 29, 1045, Countess of Friesach-Zeltschach (Carinthia), married Count Wilhelm von der Sann. After her husband and son were murdered, she donated her estates in Styria, Carinthia and Carniola to the Benedictine convent of Gurk (1043), to the Benedictine monastery of Admont (from 1074) founded by Gebhard of Salzburg and to be given as alms. Regarded as the founder of the bishopric of Gurk, established in 1072. She was buried in the crypt of Gurk Cathedral. Her personality is surrounded by many legends. Depicted as a woman wearing a headscarf and holding a model of a church while distributing alms.
Literature: A. Krause, H. v. Gurk, 1960; P. G. Tropper, H. v. Gurk, exhibition catalogue, Straßburg Castle 1988; A. Fritz, Das H.-Buch, 1992; S. Messner, H. v Gurk, 1995; J. Till, Hemmas Welt, 1999.